Sunday, January 31, 2010

Furloughs

Who knew there was another F-word? All you have to do is walk into the teacher's lounge at school, and people are talking about the furlough days. It gets people people upset, almost as if someone dropped an F-bomb.

On the positive side, lots of people say that we should be happy that we still have a job because there are some places where teachers are being laid off. On the negative side, there are people who say that taking money away from educators is a cardinal sin when many barely make enough to make ends meet in the first place.

I like to be a positive person. So, I am happy to still have a job. I am choosing to be happy to have some extra time with my sons, even if I am losing some of my pay. I will use those days to teach them a new thing: Spending quality time with family does not cost us much, but we will gain some memories that money can't buy.

No comments: