Monday, April 27, 2009

Being Careful with Blogs

After today's blogging class, I realize that we have to be careful before using blogs in the classroom. I am going to spend a lot of time this summer developing guidelines for my blog if I decide to implement it. I found great student blogging contracts on the Internet. So, I will use them as a starting point to create my own.

I also learned that it's important to share my intentions for my blog and/or wiki and/or web page with my principal. He has encouraged the use of web pages for student engagement and parent involvement. I was even asked to present a workshop on it at our school. However, I do feel that the more students get used to this technology, the more they might stray away from the original purposes intended by the teacher. Therefore, it's important to be proactive.

2 comments:

P. Stone said...

I totally agree with being careful before using blogging with the kids. I am so anxious to show my students how to blog that I have almost just leapt right on in but haven't because - imagine this - there just isn't enough time. Now after reading your blog, I think I will do what you have mentioned and spend part of my summer creating guidelines, etc.

KM said...

Let me know if you do the workshop! I would love to attend, help, be your assistant, whatever you need. :)