Saturday, April 25, 2009

Sharing Resources

In our blogging class, our instructor mentioned that blogging would be a great way for teachers to share resources and discuss ideas in lieu of an actual meeting that requires a lot of time. I think she's right, but then I question whether teachers would be willing to openly share their resources or ideas over blogs. For one thing, many teachers are unfamiliar with this technology. Secondly, many teachers feel a sense of ownership over their resources, particularly lessons they may have spent years perfecting. They may not be willing to share these resources.

The unwillingness to share came up at my school when we were implementing the Atlas Rubicon program. I was asked to re-deliver this training to a group of teachers because I teach computer classes. Unfortunately, the attitude of some of the teachers was very negative. I understood that some were negative because they were just frustrated with the program because it kept crashing and freezing. Others were negative because they did not want to make their lessons available to any teacher who may be searching for them. One veteran said, "This is my life's work. Why should I just give it away to anyone?"

I have pondered her question for months. I think I finally have my answer. I think she, and other teachers, should be willing to share their resources because it could improve the performance of other teachers. Therefore, it will, hopefully, improve the success of many more students than just those students a teacher actually teaches in his/her class. I think that should be our goal -- helping students succeed. So, we should share resources because it helps us achieve that goal.

2 comments:

KM said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Patricia said...

You know, Victoria, I guess we just have to recognize that there all kinds of teachers.

When I began my teaching career, I was surrounded by caring educators who were very generous with all their resources. I was mentored long before any formal program was established in Muscogee County.

I stayed home almost 20 years with my sons, so I was privileged to be a mentee in the wonderful system we have. The best example of my mentor's care of me? Since I was displaced to another school after 17 days of returning to the system (Ouch!), I found myself teaching in a class with NO textbooks. My mentor and the other 2nd grade teacher volunteered to share one set of books and gave me the second. And THEN when the new books finally arrived, they gave me the new books!

Amazingly, I was able to pay this forward this year (11 years later). Our 2nd grade group received enough science books for 3 of our 4 classes. As grade chair, I volunteered to do without. My across-the-hall neighbor is willing to let me borrow his texts almost any time, so it was a small gesture. But it WAS an act on my part.

I can understand someone keeping 3 or 4 pet projects that are really unique and results of lots of work to themselves, but most of us have a great store of lessons that are top quality and fairly basic, maybe with a twist.

Along the same lines: I was sharing with someone applying for a media job that she needed to submit a transcript and enter the transfer process. Someone overheard me and said, "What are you doing? I wouldn't help her. She might get a job and you might not!"

My response, "Well, I just cannot believe that my being kind to someone else would hurt me."

Of course, I'm a woman of great faith--so I'm confident that I'm going to be exactly where God wants me!

Let's just be the kind of people we want to work with--it will benefit us and those around us.